Dick Smith’s Live Bait & Tackle has been in business for over 34 years and we have the LARGEST selection of Minnows in the Midwest! This combination of knowledge and available selection ensures that we can get you what you need to have a successful day on the water. We also carry most items year round (when available) so you can rely on us having what you need, when you need it. Our 13 minnow tanks have a constant flow of fresh, cold water – which means that your minnows will be as lively as possible. Our minnow tanks are also treated with Better Bait water treatment twice a day. All of our live bait gets rotated regularly to help make sure you are always getting the freshest bait.
We also offer live bait services that are not available at other stores. These include:
• Plastic minnow bags with oxygen for when you forget your minnow bucket or traveling makes a bucket full of water impractical
• We offer frozen bait saver bottles for use in your bucket during the Summer months
• Salted minnows are available by the pound and special order for anglers heading to Canada
• We do sell some of our minnows by the 1 lb quantity. Please contact us for pricing and availability
• Unfortunately, we don’t ship minnows
All minnows should be kept cold. The water should be kept at 40-55 degrees. It is best to use an insulated minnow bucket rather than a metal or plastic bucket; adding a frozen bait saver bottle will keep them lively during summer months. Aerators will also keep minnows alive longer. Minnow water should be changed every day. Don’t try to keep too many minnows in a bucket, or they will all die due to lack of oxygen.
Try DKS Magic Powder on tail of minnow for added scent and attractant!